Texas: The SHORT holiday came & went

My sister has a best friend whom she has known since they were 7. Her best friend studied here a little before moving to the states. Whenever she returned, my elder sister brings me to her place some times and she'd give my sis all these nice gifts.

She smuggled in bubble gum and lollies with gum in the center. There was a time when she gave my sister a huge Hershey kisses that was the size of one and a half tennis ball and I thought it was so cool.

Everyone have dream places they wish to visit. Some wants to go to Maldives, some wants to go to Paris and some would do anything to see the Pyramids.

Zul knew that Texas is one of the places I have dreamed of going to for ages. When he was rostered to go to Houston, Zul surprised me with tickets for me and Nadya to be on his flight.

My excitement was short lived when I found out the flight would take almost 24 hours. How was I going do to it all alone with Nadya?

It is already so trying for me to do it for an hour on ground, 24 hours scared me so much I saw images of myself passing out with Nadya in my arms.

I swear I didn't make that part up.

Thankfully, N slept through more than half of the flight. The dark and quiet environment helped a lot too. That was all before she threw up all the food I had given to her causing her sleep to be interrupted.

The crew on the flight from Singapore to Moscow wasn't the best in the world, but lucky I managed it mostly on my own. When we landed in Moscow, everyone on transit to Houston had to leave the aircraft and go through security screening once again.

On transit in Moscow

Travelling by myself in a foreign country where I didn't know if they knew any English was terrifying. I tailed everyone else and stayed close to all the other strangers who held the transit pass hoping that if anything happen, they would help.

After waiting for almost an hour, Zul greeted me at the aircraft door and assisted me with my bags and Nadya. He brought me to my seat, stowed my bags before helping out the other passengers.

It was a pleasant feeling to know that I am safe and protected with his presence. Not to mention, well taken care of. The rest of his colleagues who worked with him were exceptionally nice too.

12 hours later, we landed in Houston and I was greeted with a cold breeze. My heart pumped rapidly in excitement that my dream had become a reality.

I WAS IN TEXAS!

On the first night, Zul and I took a walk to the mall located opposite the hotel. We were both famished and there weren't any halal food sold anywhere we had to settle for shrimp fried rice.

Too tired to walk around and have our meal there, I requested that we take away our food back to the hotel. My whole body ached and my eyes were heavy - I was too tired to even eat. I gave up after a couple bites and headed to bed. Even after more than 12 hours of sleep, my body hadn't repaired itself when we started our day bright and early for shopping.

Houston

Houston

Houston

Houston

If it had not been windy, the shops being in open space would not have been a huge problem.

Photobucket

After almost three hours of walking Zul asked me, "You're not going to buy anything baby?" I shrugged. I saw Kate Spade and entered the place. I walked around looking at the bags and since Zul wants me to buy something badly, I bought a bag and coin purse from there.

While I was making my pick, Z asked, "Is Kate Spade a known brand?" Oh the brand conscious husband don't know Kate Spade.

Truthfully, I don't know Kate Spade so much nor do I know any designer label. By nature, I am not materialistic nor have I ever been one.

So I replied to him, "Kate Spade is at Takashimaya. But I think it is not on par to LV and Chanel."


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cheesecake factory Zul always mentioned when he tell me his stories about travelling and the good food he has tried. He bought me a lime cheesecake, but exhaustion only allowed me to take two bites before I knocked out for the night.
Photobucket

Christmas tree and ice skating rink in the middle of the mall. So cool.
Photobucket

Candies sold outside their restrooms which I think it really gross. Imagine someone enter the toilet and left without washing their hands. They leave the restroom and decides to buy some candy.

They turn the dial to retrieve some gum ball, jawbreakers or M&Ms. It is so gross and such unhygienic people do exist. Then comes a tiny child who wants to buy some candy, touching the same dial the unhygienic person just did and proceeds to eating up her candy that has been infested with bacteria.

Such a wrong place to be selling candies. Even if they were to put it somewhere else, there are still going to be people with dirty hands touching it. The fact that is it beside a restroom is gross on its own.

The following day, we went to NASA. It is the attraction in Houston, so it is definitely a must go. Although we've asked my sister's BFF where to go in Houston and she said NASA is overrated, we still went ahead despite what she said.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

A part of the moon where they allowed people to touch. It feels like a piece of smooth rock, almost like a pebble. By the way, my sister's friend is right, NASA is so overrated.

In December, it is suppose to be winter or at least I thought it was winter. However, trees were all still red and it looked more like autumn than winter.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Car we rented. It is so coincidental that it is red. On our honeymoon, we got a red Yaris. In London, the car we rented was a red too. Then here in Texas, we got a red Corolla.

Photobucket

Low clouds. The place was so foggy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yeehhhaaaaa!!!

The trips we have had together normally last for 2 weeks. By the end of the 2nd week, I normally can't wait to go back home and sleep.

Since this was a three days (or five days if you include the flights), it felt too short, too fast. I was not satisfied and I wanted more. It was a beautiful short holiday. The trip back on board the aircraft was delightful when Z and his colleagues helped me so willingly in everything just to make me comfortable.

When Z had to leave behind in Moscow while I continued on my journey back to Singapore, the crew were all just as amazing as the ones that I'd left behind.

Despite all the aches and pain, I don't regret going through this trip, at all. Thank you, for all of this Sayang. This got to be the best surprise I've ever had. XOXO

Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 and is filed under .

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.